Moving into a new home is a daunting venture. You have expenses to pay, things to pack, contracts to sign, and lots of cleaning to do. In many cases, you also have possessions to sell and new furniture to buy. No matter what your situation, you’re going to need to create a plan and get organized so that you don’t end up spending too much money or wasting too much time. If you cut too many corners, you are going to end up with lost or stolen items and unwanted junk that should have been tossed. If you haven’t moved in awhile or if you’ve had an unsuccessful home move in the past, here are five helpful tips for an easy move into a new home.
- Discard as much as you can. Hiring movers is expensive, and packing is time-consuming. When you start packing for your move, you want to take a moment with each item and ask yourself if you truly need it. If it was useful to you at a time, but is no longer necessary, move on. Many of our possessions hold sentimental value for us, but when we hold on to too much, it all loses power and turns to clutter. So get real about what you truly need, be thankful for the purpose your junk served in the past and move on.
- Pack with care. When you pack, you want to think about the journey that your possessions are about to go through. They are going to be crammed in boxes, carried, stacked, and bouncing around in a large truck. If you’re not very thoughtful about the materials you place beside one another and how they will respond to friction together, you could end up with a lot of damaged goods. So be sure to wrap fragile items carefully with bubble wrap and don’t leave too much space for them to move. If you have anything that you want to be more protective of, keep it on your person while you make the move.
- Label your boxes. One of the most important things to do when you’re packing is to label all of your boxes. It may not seem that important when you’re getting packed, but it will make the unpacking process so much easier. When you unpack, you’re going to want to unpack one room at a time. So you want your boxes to be packed accordingly. That way you can ask your mover to put all of the bedroom boxes in the bedroom and kitchen boxes in the kitchen.
- Hire professional movers. When you’re moving, you want to be sure that you have professional and reliable movers by your side. You can hire a highly reputable company to help you carry all the boxes and heavy furniture out of your old home and into your new home. They’ll be sure to pack the truck intelligently so that your things get home quickly and safely.
- Greet your new neighbors. You’re not going to truly feel like you’re at home until you feel like you belong. So get to know your neighbors and local businesses. Develop a rapport with your community so that you feel like you’re accepted. Until you do that you’re always going to feel like a fish out of the water.
You may also like Five great reasons to build your next home