Traveling to New Orleans is one of the best ways to revive your spirits and relax your mind. There are so many fun things to do and the city has such a warm culture that encourages you to forget all of your stresses and just live in the moment. Of course, there are a few things you will want to keep in mind to ensure that you get the most out of your trip. Here are 5 helpful tips for first-time New Orleans Visitors.
- Be sure to pack for all kinds of weather conditions. When you’re in New Orleans, the weather can change drastically in a matter of minutes. You never know when there might be a brief tropical shower, or when the sun may part through the clouds and reach scorching hot temperatures. That’s why you want to pack plenty of layers and be sure to wear and reapply sunblock. You can buy a cheap umbrella when you arrive if you need to, but bringing a thin raincoat is never a bad idea.
- Be sure you find a great hotel. If you want to really get the most out of your vacation in New Orleans, then you want to make sure that you get one of the better hotels in town. No matter what neighborhood you stay in, you can find all the coolest places by searching for Hipmunk’s best hotels in New Orleans. They can guide you to all the coolest spots, no matter what kinds of accommodations you’re looking for.
- Be ready to eat lots of food that is heavy, decadent and spicy. If you’ve never had New Orleans style cuisine, you’re in for a big treat. The people of the bayou sure know how to eat, and there’s absolutely nothing mild about their favorite dishes. If you have a relatively sensitive stomach, you might want to be sure you keep your preferred brand of antacid on you at all times. Also, if you don’t have much tolerance for spicy food, always notify your servers so that they inform the chef or can advise you with the menu.
- Don’t forget to spend some time in the French Quarter. There are plenty of amazing neighborhoods to visit in New Orleans, but if there’s one place you have to visit, it’s definitely the French Quarter. This is where you will find some of the best food, the best jazz music, and the best live entertainment in town. When you have dinner in the French Quarter, you don’t want to rush in and out. You want to sit, relax and savor the night. Try to get there early for a nice drink before dinner. Watching the dinner crowd filter in as the commotion picks up steam from a romantic restaurant terrace can be very relaxing. Then find a great jazz club and put on your dancing shoes for a night of fun and magic.
- Be ready to take lots of pictures. With all the fun you’ll be having, it may be difficult to remember to stop and take pictures. You will be seeing so many amazing characters running around town and meeting all kinds of warm, friendly people. Be sure to capture all of those fun memories with a great point and shoot camera – or your phone if it takes strong enough photos. Just make sure you always have enough battery live and storage space available.