Doing different games and exercises to train your brain can be incredibly beneficial. Not only can they help boost your cognitive skills – they can also build more grey matter in your brain, which is critical for fending off the ravages of dementia and other degenerative brain disorders. You may be young now, but as you get older you will wish that you could turn back the clock and take measures to improve your brain’s strength to absorb and remember more information. Fortunately, it is never too late to start doing exercises for your brain, because the brain is incredibly adaptive and is always building new pathways. Here are some different games and exercises for training your brain.
- Quick math. Most of us don’t think in mathematical equations, but doing so once in a while may strengthen your brain and improve your cognitive functions. For instance, you may want to try doing basic math problems in your head. You can start off slow – with addition – and then move up to multiplication. This exercise will really get our synapses going and it will illuminate parts of your brain that don’t usually get used.
- Sudoku. You can usually find a Sudoku game in your local newspaper or online. If you want to boost your brain’s ability to solve complex problems, Sudoku can really help. Most people think that Sudoku is mathematical, but the truth is that the puzzle is more logical than mathematical. When it comes down to it, many people have trouble working out that logical side of their brain, which is an important part of the brain to work out. This is why you may want to try your hand at this puzzle game.
- Long form writing. Most people spend their life texting or emailing, but when was the last time you used a pen or pencil and wrote something on paper? It may surprise you, but it was probably a long time ago. That check you signed at the restaurant doesn’t count! This is why you may want to get a pad of paper and a pen and just start writing. You want to let your consciousness stream onto the page. This will light up a whole new part of your brain.
- Cognitive training. You can also undergo a cognitive training exercise. You can find these tests from companies like LearningRX, which not only provide training exercises – they also provide testing. It doesn’t matter if you are having minor cognitive issues or major issues – these cognitive tests can help your brain literally rewire itself. Not only will you notice that your memory is better – you will also be able to solve more complicated problems and overcome challenges.
- Meditation. You may not think that meditation is a brain exercise, but think again. Try closing your eyes and not thinking of anything at all. It is nearly impossible. This is why meditation is important. You want to take deep breaths and try to clear your mind of everything. In the end, this will help reboot your circuitry and it will make your thoughts clearer and more resolved.