Leaks from flooding and damaged plumbing can often be the cause of costly repairs and a lot of upheaval in the home.
Even a small amount of water damage can cause mould to grow quickly and contribute towards illness and allergies.
The treatment process can vary depending on the individual conditions. With numerous blogs and tips available online, it can be difficult to decide which course of action to take.
Some Useful Examples
1. Remove water as quickly as possible. It seems obvious, but prolonged exposure can cause lasting damage if not dealt with promptly. A wet/dry vacuum can be very effective.
2. Use fans to speed the drying process. It can take several days to completely dry an area. The fans can also aid in circulating fresh air. It’s important to remember that thorough drying out is essential.
3. Use a dehumidifier. These machines are designed to remove excess moisture from the air. It also helps to maintain a cooler air temperature, which limits the growth of mould and mildew. Using such tools can help speed up the drying times.
4. Steam-cleaning – carpets and flooring can be left with an odour following water damage. Although things such as underlay may need replacing, the steam-clean will sanitize and remove lingering odours.
5. Sanitisation – this is essential to ensure no spores or bacteria remain. Floors, walls and skirting boards should all be treated. Soapy water and diluted bleach should be sufficient, along with a good deal of elbow grease.
6. Check your furniture – water damage can easily be overlooked when hidden under carpeting or rugs. Make sure you check every area well for signs.
These tips and suggestions were sourced online via a recently updated article. This and further information can be found on the website https://www.angieslist.com/articles/6-steps-prevent-carpet-mold-after-water-damage.htm/.
There are many specialised companies that are able to diagnose and treat mould and water damage.
One such company you may consider is a Cheltenham Carpet Cleaning Company. With 25 years of experience in domestic and commercial settings, a full range of services is offered. Further details can be found at their website at gnccontractservices.com.
Further reading is useful when selecting a company. Case studies and customer testimonials where available can give you a good indication of what to expect.